Just say the word stress and your shoulders start hunching up around your ears, your heart rate increases a bit, and your emotions start running rampant. It doesn’t have to be that way; you have control over how you react to stressful situations and essential oils can help.
I thought someone once said that we had the “lazy, hazy days of summer.” For me, they have been crazy days instead. Juggling the work schedule to fit in summer camp schedules and wanting more time to spend outside yet the inside housework doesn’t cooperate. On top of that we have our everyday chores of cooking, laundry, working full-time, committing to our health and fitness, and that’s just an average day. Exhausted and emotionally drained by the end of the day, you could use a bit of rejuvenating relaxation and stress relief.
- Bath or sauna – Put 5 drops of Chamomile, 3 drops of Geranium, 5 drops of Lavender, and 2 drops of Lemon into a warm bath or sauna, and soothe away the stress of the day.
- Body splash – Put 3 drops of Chamomile, 2 drops of Geranium, 3 drops of Lavender, and 2 drops of Lemon into a cup of water. Put the blend into a spray bottle and occasionally spritz yourself during the day to calm yourself down and get back in control.
- Headache relief – Put 1 drop of Chamomile, 1 drop of Geranium, 2 drops of Lavender, and 1 drops of Lemon into 2 ounces of a lotion or 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Using a small amount of the blend, massage your temples, neck, forehead, and behind your ears as a wonderful relief for stress-induced headaches.
- Room spray – Put 10 drops of Chamomile, 5 drops of Geranium, 10 drops of Lavender, and 5 drops of Clary Sage into a cup of water. Put the blend into a spray bottle to use as a room spray that has a bit more power.
- Massage – Put 2 drops EACH of Cedar, Clary Sage, Ylang Ylang, and Lavender into 2 ounces of lotion or vegetable oil, and enjoy a relaxing massage.
We often think, “wouldn’t it be great to be 10 years old again?” Well, actually children today have quite a few stressors in their lives. My daughter gets a bit anxious when she starts a new summer camp program. “What if I don’t know anyone, Mama?” What if this and what if that. So I make up a skin cream that not only protects her skin, but also helps her stay calm and focused.
- Body lotion – Put 6 drops of Chamomile, 4 drops of Geranium, and 6 drops of Lavender into 2 ounces of a lotion. Not only are you going to help rejuvenate your child’s skin, but also help keep the anxiety level down.
- Room spray – And when we travel I always bring her room spray that contains 10 drops Orange, 6 drops Nutmeg, and 10 drops Lavender mixed into 1 cup of water. This has been very successful with children in giving them a sense of comfort and familiarity.
- Potpourri – Mix Lemon rinds and apple peels into 2 cups of water. Place in a potpourri pot or saucepan. Add 5 drops of Clary Sage. You’ll love how you are able to remain calm and focused.
- Candles – Find an inexpensive votive candle. Light it and let the wax melt into a small pool around the wick. Put between 2 and 10 drops of a relaxing oil that you enjoy the scent of, for example Lavender, Clary Sage, Ylang Ylang, or Orange.
- Perfume – Put 4 drops of Bergamot and Lavender, and 2 drops of Clary Sage into 1 teaspoon of oil. Apply to pulse points.
- Diffuser – Put 5 drops EACH of Ylang Ylang, Orange, and Patchouli into a diffuser.